There are many reasons that are attributed to one suffering from hair loss, whether through age or even premature hair loss. Helping to define the reason for hair loss can increase the treatment options which are available to the individual as well as helping to prevent future hair loss by offsetting the cause of the reasons for hair loss.
Here are some common reasons for hair loss:
- Genetics and heredity can be blamed for most cases of hair loss. Unfortunately, this cannot be stopped without the use of relatively invasive procedures such as hair transplant surgery.
- Malnutrition and a lack of vitamins in the diet is one of the most popular reasons for hair loss. Vitamin A, E and folic acid are essential within a healthy diet to ensure that hair can be maintained. Ensuring that you maintain a healthy diet can help to reduce hair loss.
- Hormonal imbalance can be blamed for hair loss in many women, the reason that many women lose their hair after pregnancy. Although most often a short amount of hair is lost, there can be instances in which more hair is lost and treatment is necessary.
- There are certain medications that come with the side effect of hair loss. Ensuring that you avoid these medications can help to reduce the hair loss.
Prevent hair loss by avoiding confusion. Check what your hair type is and then take the appropriate treatment for your hair. Sometimes the use of certain medicines can trigger hair loss. Ask your doctor to change your medication, in case you doubt that your hair loss is caused by the prescribed medicines.Check if there is any infection on your scalp; try and get that treated immediately. The other major reason for hair loss can be a hormonal imbalance. So correcting it also can help prevent hair loss.
Some medicines help in slowing or preventing common baldness. Some common medicines used for treating baldness are Minoxidil (brand name: Rogaine) and Finasteride (brand name: Propecia). These medicines are available without prescriptions. It can take anywhere between 5 to 6 months before one can decide whether the medicine is working.
Whatever medicines you might want to use for treating hair loss, the best way to stop it is to make dietary changes.
Dietary Changes for Hair loss:
Diets that reduce your testosterone levels would help logically. Girls have low levels of testosterone; so eating a diet of steamed chicken, green salads, low-fat milk and chocolate whenever you feel a little bit depressed should absolutely prevent baldness.
Healthy hair needs care to keep it soft and shining. It also needs a lot of food from the inside. That means consuming fruits, vegetables and grains in higher proportion to prevent hair loss and reverse the conditions that may lead to hair loss.
You must take a wholesome diet that comprises of calcium, silica, and iron. Green, good mineral sources are leafy vegetables, more so sea vegetables. Raw oats are a good source of silica.You can increase your intake of iron by consuming lots of dried fruits and cherry juice.
Hairloss and foods:
One of the most common cause of hair loss is anemia. The answer is to eat bounty full iron rich food like animal protein (must avoid if you are pregnant) and liver, whole grain including green leafy vegetables, dates, eggs, and raisins. To boost hair growth, a protein rich diet mechanism does well. Calves liver, brewer's yeast, wheat germ, and two tablespoons of granulated lecithin are rich in protein. Also they are high in B vitamins, an important hair nutrient.
Vitamin C helps in the assimilation of iron. Take in a good share of vegetables and fruits in your diet. Vitamin E is significant for vigorous hair growth. Have nuts, avocados and olive oil regularly. If the hair loss is because of thyroid dysfunction, then take foods that contain iodine and vitamin A. Consume vegetables like spinach and carrots in raw, oil seeds that are cold compressed like walnut, flax or pumpkin seed plus sea salt. Get cabbage, turnips, mustard, peanuts, soybeans, millet and pine nuts in case of a deficiency of iodine. A word of caution: have down pat that excessive use of Vitamin A also leads to hair loss.
Foods that are useful are: Oats, Sweet rice and pounded sweet rice, root vegetables like carrots, rutabagas, parsnips, ginger, turnips, and onions, black beans, winter squash, pumpkin, black pepper and brown rice syrup. Seaweed inspired daily, can avoid hair loss for many. Other ideal foods include micro algae, vegetables, whole grains, beans, seeds and nuts, green leafy vegetables.
Foods to avoid are: Cold foods and drinks, sugary foods and drinks, fatty foods, animal protein, too much raw foods, fruits, citrus tomatoes, tofu, millet, salt, and dairy products.
Apart from healthy diet a weekly scalp massage is a necessity for healthy hair. It helps in stimulating blood flow and reduces the stress that is a major cause for hair loss. Here are some tips for scalp massage.
- Hot steam bath will be highly beneficial for your hair and scalp. Massage hot oil and wrap up a hot damp towel on your head for sometime.
- Hot oil therapy can cure dandruff and help prevent hair loss. Massage hot oil into your scalp before going to bed. Next morning - an hour before going for bath - mix lemon juice and cosmetic vinegar, and apply it into your scalp with cotton wool. Wash your hair properly. Mix one lemon in one cup of hot water. Apply its as a last rinse.Treat yourself with this massage once or twice in a week for a minimum of three months.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of cosmetic vinegar and 6 tablespoons of hot water. Pat this with cotton on your scalp and leave it overnight. Next morning wash your hair with a shampoo.
- Mix beetroot juice in vinegar. Apply it on your scalp.
- Mix ginger juice and beetroot juice. Apply it on your head to cure dandruff and prevent hair loss.
- Mix olive oil and almond oil, and apply the mixture on your scalp. Leave it for 5 min after you get the burning sensation. Then rinse properly.
- Soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in water before going to bed. Grind the softened seeds in morning. Apply this paste on your scalp. After half an hour wash your hair with shikakai or ritha solution.
- Warm 300 gm of coconut oil with 3 gm of black pepper. Stop heating once it starts boiling. Filter it with a fine cloth and then keep in a bottle. Massage your scalp gently with fingertips during nights.
- Use one teaspoon of fresh limejuice for last rinse while washing your hair. It helps the hair to glow and also helps remove stickiness and prevents dandruff.
- Dilute cider vinegar in equal amount of water. Dab this to your hair with cotton wool in between the shampooing of hair.
- Crush beetroot leaves in henna paste, and apply it on your head.
- Massage your hair for half an hour with curd that is left open for three days.
- Mix few drops of limejuice with amla. Apply it every night to your scalp before going to bed.
- Apply processed henna once in 15 days. It can be prepared in this way. Boil equal amounts of shikakai powder and amla in water. Allow it to cool. Then mix henna powder, small amount of roasted clove and fenugreek powder, little lemon juice and egg.
- Mix split black gram and milk, and apply it on your scalp.
- Beat two eggs. And add 2 tablespoons of water to it. Wet your hair and apply this egg mixture to your hair. Now massage your head and let the mixture be on it for 10-15 minutes. Then rinse your hair with lukewarm water. It helps in keeping both dandruff and hair loss away from you.